If you live in an older home chances are there is still some old lead paint somewhere on your walls. The layers of paint may have been covered over but are there lurking below the surface. If you take the proper steps and are careful in dealing with old paint no problems should arise. It is easy to avoid issues with lead poisoning caused by dust from painting.
Lead poisoning results from having too much of lead in your body. It can affect your heart, bones, intestines, kidneys and nervous system. Effects are particularly bad in children. The symptoms of lead poisoning include confusion, abdominal pain, anemia, headache, infertility and irritability. If left untreated lead poisoning can cause seizures, coma and death.
At one time lead was commonly used in gasoline and paint. Vehicle fuel is now unleaded. Lead is still added to the fuel used in airplanes. Historically many painters including Caravaggio and Goya likely experienced lead poisoning from the paints they used. In Canada regulations were passed on lead in paint in the ’90s. Modern paints will not contain lead.
You should not be afraid to paint over old lead paint. In fact covering over lead paint to seal it in a great way of preventing lead exposure. However, you should be aware of certain precautions and steps that need to be taken when dealing with lead paint.